You can now add burrito bowls for kids to your repertoire of delicious, nutritious and easy meals. They don’t require hardly any cooking skills and you can throw them together in a pinch on a busy weeknight. Check it out!
As much as my kids would love to eat cold cereal for dinner every night, they need a little bit more nutrition than that. But sometimes it’s hard to find a meal that will satisfy the picky palates of these tiny mouths. That’s why I love burrito bowls for kids. All five of my kids love them. Here’s how to make them yourselves.
Gather your ingredients
These burrito bowls are super versatile because you can add whatever you want to them. I am all about convenience, so most of these ingredients don’t require very much preparation. Here’s what you’ll need:
- White or brown rice
- Ground beef
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Olives (optional)
- Salt and pepper
Get the kids involved
We like to have our kids take turns help make dinner every night. These burrito bowls make it really easy. As I am cooking the beef and rice, my kids open and rinse out the beans and corn and then chop the tomatoes and avocado into small chunks. I like to place a lot of the ingredients on a big cutting board and then everyone can make their own bowls really easily.
Assemble your bowls
You can mix all the ingredients together in a bowl but that doesn’t look nearly as appetizing. The presentation is half the fun. I like to add the rice on the bottom, then put a small portion of each ingredient on top of the rice. And finally, add a dollop of sour cream right in the middle.
Other easy dinner ideas for kids
I’ve compiled a “go-to” list of delicious dinner ideas for kids. Here’s just a few of them:
- 35 healthy, easy weeknight dinners for busy moms
- Kid-friendly dinner recipes
- 10 quick and easy weeknight dinners on a budget
- 20+ dinner recipes that kids will love
Super easy burrito bowls for kids
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 can black or pinto beans
- 1 can corn
- 1 avocado
- 2 limes
- 2 tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 can olives (optional)
- Cook the white rice and the ground beef. Cut the tomatoes and avocado into small chunks. Slice the limes into small wedges.
- Make each burrito bowl by first placing about a cup of rice at the bottom of each bowl, then add a small amount of the remaining ingredients next to each other on top of the rice. Complete the bowl with a dollop of sour cream and salt and pepper to taste.
I hope these burrito bowls for kids will be a hit in your home. I know they have for us. Let me know what other recipes you like to make with your kids in the comments below.
More from My Silly Squirts: 30+ delicious dippers for your cheese fondue